Update by user Oct 07

Consumer Cellular ignores my complaint and continues to bill me. The most recent bill is $33.34 PAST DUE.

Original review posted by user Aug 24

The low prices offered at the website are very misleading and incorrect. I am still arguing with Consumer Cellular over billing.

I tried the $25 Plan, which is the 250 min and 2GB, with additional AARP benefits: a 5% AARP discount, and "Our extended 100% risk-free guarantee: If you’re not completely satisfied for any reason, simply cancel within the first 45 days and pay nothing. It’s absolutely hassle-free". So I expected an initial bill for $23.75 plus state taxes (8.875% in NY) which I calculated at $2.11. I tried to cancel after 40 days, only to be told that the special AARP deal only applied to use of 500MB (I used 548MB), with charges after that, and am now being billed an additional fee of about $20, on top of the first month fee of $34.74 because of all the extra surcharges tacked on (with "Government Taxes & Fees" listed at $5.08) for a total of $43.06.

None of these additional charges and fees are explained, nor any warning given about 500MB maximum usage. I calculated that the real price for my 40-day trial, based on what was advertised, should be $25.86, which is what I paid them. I will not pay more. Not only that, but the first SIM card permitted only limited phone use, and so I had almost no useful phone service for the first week (and many visits to TARGET) until the SIM was replaced.

They have no email communication, only phone service, which requires waiting in line.

Consumer Cellular is Consumer Scam. Stay away.

Product or Service Mentioned: Consumer Cellular Phone Plan.

Reason of review: Return, Exchange or Cancellation Policy.

Preferred solution: Price reduction.

Consumer Cellular Pros: Mostly normal coverage area.

Consumer Cellular Cons: Tell customers policy before you buy phone, Need to educate customer service, Poor service, Show all hidden charges and full cost at time of contract.

• Misleading Advertising
  • Manipulating Aarp Customers

Comments

UrbanSawfish

you are right on the money same thing happen to me

Consumer Cellular Reviews