2.1
Coverage Area
Style and Design

I saw the ads on tv and I was hooked. Consumer Cellular quoted a monthly plan that was half of what I was paying T-Mobile and they were endorsed by AARP.

What could go wrong? Plenty. I decided that I would finally switch from a good old reliable flip phone to a smart phone. CC had smart phones to sell and because I was an AARP member I would get a discount.

So far so good. The agent I spoke with was extremely helpful. She sold me on a plan that would include 250 minutes of talk, unlimited texting and 3 GBs of data useage. Now if you're a former flip phone user you probably don't know much about "data usage" when it comes to a monthly phone plan, I sure didn't, but I figured that 3 GBs had to be enough.

Well it is, if you plan on keeping your phone turned off 90% of the time. You see cellular data is a sneaky thing, you can be using it even when the phone is sitting idle on your desk. Consumer Cellular knows this and they love it. They promise they will get in touch and warn you if you going to go over your limit and they do but, (surprise, surprise) twice they've warned me and it was too late.

I went over and if you go over your limit – even by a byte – it's $20 extra on your bill. In addition to that you're automatically pushed into a new 5 GB data limit plan. That means that from now on you pay that $20 extra fee even if you don't go over the old 3 GB limit. Pretty sweet for Consumer Cellular.

Not so sweet for me and you. I plan on getting out of Consumer Cellular as soon as pay off the balance for the iPhone I purchased from them.

In the meantime take my advice and don't fall for their ads. It's nothing but a bait and switch.

I liked: Price they said i would be charged.

I didn't like: Non response to my irritating problem.

Comments